14th June 2016
Nowhere does cinema quite like Everyman. Whether it’s the suave sofas, mouth-watering menu or star studded events, Everyman is Birmingham’s premiere picture house.
So grab your popcorn, sit back and relax as we go behind the scenes to find out more about Ben Crutch, venue manager at Everyman Mailbox. Lights, camera, action…
1. Hi there Ben! Let’s start with a little about your background and how you got to Everyman:
Hey! I’ve worked in hospitality for 10 years. I started off in pubs and bars and worked my way into events. I was event manager at the Custard Factory and Fazeley Studios and I also looked after the Fazeley Social Bistro. I always try to push myself to do more, and when I saw the advert for Everyman I got really excited and told myself “I must get this job!”. I’ve always loved going to the cinema and I’m a big foodie, but I never thought I’d be running a premium cinema and an awesome restaurant at the same time.
2. A few months into the job and you’re already hosting hugely successful premieres. How was the Peaky Blinders day from an organiser’s point of view?
We have such an amazing team here at Everyman it was always going to go smoothly. I’ve done a lot of events in my previous roles, so I was pretty confident in making sure all of the guests were having a great time. It was the technical side of things that I was worried about as I was completely new to cinema – fortunately for me my deputy is a technical whizz. It was an absolutely fantastic event and I would most definitely like to hold more premieres in the future. What a perfect venue we have for them!
3. Besides rubbing shoulders on the red carpet with celebrities, what’s the best part of your job at Everyman?
Film, of course!
4. Could you give us your top three films, in any order?
Working in cinema most people think I’m going to like some weird and wonderful cult films but I’m happy with the blockbusters! So, in no order:
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Jungle Book (2016) – it’s amazing, you need to watch it if you haven’t already.
5. On the flipside to that, what film would you never show here, even if they gave you £1m to replay it?
Super Mario Bros (1993) – Great game franchise, terrible film.
6. If you could play any character in any film or TV show, who would you pick?
Gimli – who wouldn’t want to be an axe wielding, stein chugging, bearded and hilarious, dwarven warrior?
7. We’re giving you the chance to share an Everyman sofa with any celebrity, living or dead. Who do you pick to share your rustle-free snacks with?
8. And finally, we’re hungry: what’s your personal recommendation from the Everyman menu?
The Hot Burger. I love burgers, I love spicy food – happy days.
9. For all the latest news and #EverymanBrum competitions and giveaways, follow Ben on Twitter @BenjaminCrutch